awards is to provide an added incentive to key officers to improve the long-term performance of the Company.
The PCRS awards were made contingent upon the level of attainment of performance goals for the three-year performance period from June 1, 2015 ending May 31,
2018. Vesting of 67% of the PCRS relates to an increase in EBIT for the period, and vesting of the remaining 33% relates to an increase in EBIT margin for the period. Actual results will be adjusted for the exclusion of restructuring and other
similar unusual charges or credits that are not central to the operations of the Company as shown on the Companys consolidated financial statements as audited by the Companys independent registered public accounting firm.
With respect to that portion of the PCRS that may vest based upon achievement of improvement in EBIT, if the increase in EBIT is less than 75% of the planned increase in
EBIT, then the performance goals are not achieved with respect to any of that portion of the PCRS. If the increase in EBIT is 75% to 100% of the planned increase in EBIT, then the performance goals are achieved with respect to a pro rata amount of
that portion of the PCRS. If the increase in EBIT is more than 100% of the planned increase in EBIT, then the performance goals are achieved with respect to all of that portion of the PCRS.
With respect to that portion of the PCRS that may vest based upon achievement of improvement in EBIT margin, if EBIT margin does not increase, then the performance goals
are not achieved with respect to any of that portion of the PCRS. If EBIT margin increases, then that portion of the PCRS will vest in a pro rata amount based on the percentage of the EBIT margin performance goal achieved. If the increase in EBIT
margin is more than 100% of the planned increase in EBIT margin, then the performance goals are achieved with respect to all of that portion of the PCRS.
Compensation Committee set the performance goals related to the PCRS awards at levels it believed to be achievable but would require the Company to meaningfully grow earnings.
Certain Fiscal 2018 Compensation Determinations
2018 PERS. In July
2017, the Compensation Committee determined that the performance goals for fiscal 2018 PERS will be (i) increase in planned EBIT and (ii) improvement in capital adjusted net earnings. For fiscal 2018 PERS awards, 67% of each named executive
officers PERS award will be based upon achievement of increase in planned EBIT goals, and 33% of each named executive officers PERS award will be based upon achievement of improvement in capital adjusted net earnings. By contrast, fiscal
2017 PERS awards
were based upon achievement of increase in planned EBIT alone. The Compensation Committee will determine whether and to what extent the 2018 PERS were achieved at its meeting in July 2018.
Timing of Equity Grants
Equity grants to the named executive officers are made
in July at regularly scheduled meetings of the Compensation Committee. Board and Compensation Committee meetings are generally scheduled at least a year in advance. Scheduling decisions are made without regard to anticipated earnings or other major
announcements by the Company.
Minimum Stock Ownership Guidelines
Company adopted minimum stock ownership guidelines for its executive officers and Directors in July 2012. Under the stock ownership guidelines certain executive officers are required to maintain the following minimum equity stakes in the Company:
Executives are expected to achieve targets within five years of the later of the date of the adoption of the minimum stock ownership guidelines or the date of assuming
their positions. Each of the Companys executive officers met the minimum stock ownership guidelines as of May 31, 2017.
Employment Agreements and
We are a party to the following employment agreements with our named executive officers, each of which has been in effect since
December 31, 2008:
Russell L. Gordon. Pursuant to an employment agreement that the Company had entered into with Mr. Gordon
RPM International Inc. (NYSE: RPM) owns subsidiaries that are world leaders in coatings, sealants, building materials and related services. From homes to precious landmarks worldwide, their brands are trusted by consumers and professionals alike to protect, improve and beautify. Among its leading consumer brands are Rust-Oleum, DAP and Zinsser. Learn more about RPM brands >>
RPM is a compelling long-term investment.
The percent by which RPM's 10-year total return has bested the S&P 500. More reasons >>
Get the latest news and financial information on why RPM is a good investment Download investor kit >>